Lake County United www.lakecountyunited.org
Congregation Solel, through Just Congregations, is an affiliate of Lake County United (LCU). One of LCU’s education initiatives is supporting a Corporate Internship Program (CIP) at Saint Martin De Porres High School in Waukegan. It is a Catholic school, but enrollment is limited only by a requirement for "low income". Students of all faiths, ethnic backgrounds, etc., are welcome, and there is no restriction on where they may live, although the majority of the students come from Waukegan, Zion, North Chicago, and Gurnee. It is a college prep school, and the CIP is a core part of the school's philosophy.
The current school enrollment is about 220 students. The 2008-2009 incoming class has about 70 openings, for which they have received over 200 applications. So the school wishes to increase enrollment to about 300. To do so, they need additional corporate sponsors – and they need commitments by mid-July.
Currently there are about 40 business partners*. These include regular corporate sponsors, government offices, and at least 10% non-profits (jobs are all white-collar). Each partner commits to employment from September through June. The school prefers that each company take a team of 4 students, though this is flexible. However, the company must be in Lake County.
This is a win-win program. By partnering with Lake County businesses, the school receives financial support and the students get real-life experience in the business world. Additionally, Solel will address the goals of Just Congregations, including:
- Acting powerfully and successfully across lines of faith, class, and race to address the root causes of economic and social injustice, and,
- Enabling synagogues to join with neighboring religious congregations of all faiths, recognizing and developing their capacity to be agents of effective social change for the common good.
Here are a few specifics about CIP:
- Major corporations, non-profit organizations and large and small businesses partner with St. Martin de Porres High School to provide jobs for economically disadvantaged students.
- Students work in job-sharing teams of four to cover a standard business week.
- A school-sponsored program provides transportation to and from job locations.
BENEFITS TO THE BUSINESS PARTNERS:
- Motivated and Trained Employees: All students undergo an intensive two-week training program in entry level computer skills, basic business skills and etiquette with ongoing training throughout the year.
- Cost Effective - no payroll taxes, fringe benefits or workers' compensation – fully deductible contracted labor.
- Employee Retention - low turnover, student workers can be retained for four years.
- Future Employee Pool - giving young people opportunities creates loyalty and vision for future careers.
- Business Partner Satisfaction - 92% business partner renewal.
- 93% of the student workers evaluated as outstanding or good performers.
CAN YOU, OR DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN, BECOME A CORPORATE SPONSOR?
IF YOU CAN HELP, PLEASE CALL Wayne Rhodes: (847) 945-8464.
*Corporate Internship Program Partners for the 2007-2008 year:
Abbott Laboratories, ACC0 Brands, AUO-NOBEL, ALEC-Abbott Credit Union, Allstate Insurance Company, Baxter Credit Union, Baxter International, Cardinal Health, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Catholic Charities, Condell Health Network, First Insurance Funding Corp, First Midwest Bank, Fortune Brands, Gewalt Hamilton Associates, Glen Flora Country Club, Holy Family Parish, Hospira, Joel Kennedy Construction, Lake County Health Department, Lake County Clerks Office, Lake County Recorder of Deeds, Lake County Sheriff, Lake County States Attorneys Office, Lake Forest Bank & Trust Company, Lake Forest Graduate School of Management, Learning Resources, Libertyville Bank & Trust, LID Commodities, MacLean-Fogg, Norstates Bank, PACTIV, Rosalind Franklin University, Stericycle, STS Consultants, Technical Concepts, United Way of Lake County, Verizon Wireless, Village of Gurnee, Vista Health , Waukegan Public Library, YMCA of Lake County, YWCA of Lake County, Walgreen Co.