Lev Solel, the heart of Solel, is our religious school experience. Find out more about our community’s approach to joyful, inspired learning.
This Week at Solel
May 27 @ 4:00 pm - May 28 @ 9:00 am
June 1 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
June 2 @ 9:15 am - 10:15 am
June 2 @ 10:35 am - 11:35 am
June 4 @ 9:30 am - 11:00 am
June 4 @ 11:15 am - 12:30 pm
June 4 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
June 6 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
June 8 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
June 9 @ 9:15 am - 10:15 am
Recent Activity at Congregation Solel in Highland Park, Illinois
- Thanks to the generosity of many Solel members, we raised the funds and obtained the furniture and household goods to furnish an apartment in Rogers Park for the refugee family Solel is co-sponsoring with Refugee One.…
- The Jewish people have a very credible claim on tending the earth. There is no doubt that we are admonished, warned and compelled to value, guard and protect. We have a holiday to celebrate trees that predates Arbor Day by thousands of years. Rabbi Lester Bronstein beautifully articulates, “Becoming responsible for the garden is our most sacred truth.” Let us use the worldwide holiday, Earth Day, which follows so closely on the heels of Passover, our Spring re-birth, to participate in …
- Time is one of those crazy concepts (sorry Cher, you can’t turn it back, even if you can find a way). It’s already April and we are in the middle of Passover (I assume that’s when this issue of the Pathfinder is released). The passage of time, as a father of two, seems even more daunting since my sons will be 1 and 3 in May! In March, Rabbi Moffic held a great class about Jewish community and I was amazed at how the texts that we studied, which are thousands of years old, are still …
- The sound of music rang out from the community room at the Gidwitz Place for Assisted Living on Sunday, March 11, when Cantor Jay O’Brien and the choirs of Solel and Lakeside Congregation presented a concert for Gidwitz residents. Under the direction and magnificent accompaniment of Russell Stern, the program featured favorite selections of Shabbat and other Jewish music from both the traditional and folk repertoires and, for good measure, even one from Broadway. Singing at Gidwitz has become …
- Dear Fellow Congregants, Mitzvah Committee is happy to partner with Faith in Action. Our committee is crisis-oriented and serves congregants on a one-time basis or unexpected emergences. We continue to provide rides to doctor appointments, services, classes and errands. Faith in Action is a long-term volunteer program which provides transportation for Solel members and will provide other services as the program develops. For more information, please call Amy in the Solel office (847)433-3555 …
- This month we experience the beginning of Spring. As the natural world around us re-awakens, friends and families together in celebration of Passover. Passover is a very ancient festival; a well spring of traditions that represents many important and interesting layers of our people’s history and culture.…
- “In every generation, each of us must see ourselves as if we personally had come out from Egypt.” – (Mishnah, Laws of Passover) I hope you had a meaningful Passover Seder. The Passover Seder might be the oldest surviving ritual in the Western World. According the Hebrew Bible, it dates back some 3300 years, to the night before the Israelites began their journey out of Egypt. Modern scholars agree that the Passover Seder as we know it is at least 2000 years old, dating back to the …
- Congregation Solel is fiercely dedicated to social justice and Tikkun Olam. I’m proud to share that we have a meaningful opportunity to help a family in need. Congregation Solel is partnering with RefugeeOne to sponsor a refugee family, and aid in resettling them for their first six months in Chicago.
- This course is designed for congregants who are comfortable reading basic Hebrew. Students will continue to develop fluency in Hebrew prayer book reading.
- Mazel Tov to Michael Schneider on completing the Certificate in Jewish Leadership program at Spertus Institute.